It's about 12:30 AM and I'm still up because I played about an hour and a half of online poker. I've switched over to playing the very small no limit games from my usual small short-handed limit games. I haven't played live in a while, but I hope to play next week when Kevin comes to town, and again after classes are out and I have some free time. I have to move down and play smaller games because I've been doing too much losing.
I'm all done teaching this semester, which is good. My final exams are all written, and I look forward to being finished with the grading sometime late next week (hopefully sometime on Friday). Overall, I think it was a successful semester. I've already posted some thoughts on my other blog, so I don't feel compelled to say it all again here.
There has been (and will be) lots of talks about the state budget and the impact it will have on our campus. It turns out that Nevada isn't doing so well financially this year, and so there's a budget shortfall that needs to be made up somehow. The administration says they will do what they can to minimize the impact on the faculty, but that the campus as a whole will definitely feel a pinch as the money is taken away. I don't know enough about the politics here to be insightful or anything, so I'm just going to sit back and watch it all happen.
San Diego nights is happening this weekend. Too bad I won't be able to go. It was lots of fun to go through Balboa park with friends and eat the tasty food. But that's what happens when you move away.
I got a few new board games recently: Bohnanza, For Sale, and Jambo. I played the latter two with Daniel last week and they were both good. We had to tweak the rules for For Sale because it is not designed for two players. We basically controlled two players (opposite corners of the table) and then the winner was the one with the most combined money between the two players. It worked out pretty well with some interesting cooperative bidding strategies. I think that one will be good to keep going back to.
Last night I made myself some pan seared salmon (frozen fillets from Costco) with the sauce I made for the fried oysters. I really like that sauce. I need to start thinking of other uses for it besides seafood.
I was talking with Betsy the other day and she made an acorn squash dinner that sounded really good. But as I sit here at 1 AM, I find myself completely unable to remember what she said she did to it. It was something about mixing together two parts of two seperate recipes. One was a stuffed something and I can't remember what the other was... maybe a soup? I have a much better memory for these things when I do them compared to when I just hear about them.