Friday, February 15, 2008

This week... less than super

I've been sick all week long. It hasn't been much fun. I started feeling it on Sunday night, and I'm still feeling it today (though I think it's on its way out). However, a lot of things came together to make this week less bad than it otherwise could have been.

My classes were scheduled for a midterm this week. This means that there were two days where I wasn't planning on standing in front of a classroom trying to tell them something mathematical. Also, it turns out that the days I was less able to talk were the midterm days, so that I still had one effective classroom day for my classes. Also, the one class that I had to cancel was my smaller upper division class (4 students), and I was able to find 75% of the students before I left to inform them that the class would be canceled.

So a week that could have been pretty bad comes out okay. I'm still fighting a lingering cough, but I've got the long weekend ahead to get back to normal.

Our InterVarsity small group seems to have gained a little momentum. We have seen three new students in our past two weeks, and they all seem interested in reading Blue Like Jazz. Two of these students are in my upper division math class, which I think helped to break the ice with them a bit more quickly. Hopefully over the next few weeks, this will become an established pattern in their weekly routine and open the doors for more opportunities.

I guess I don't have much more to say about this week. I think I spent more than half of it sleeping.