I bought a ukulele a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure whether it got into the blog or not. Anyway, I'm having a great time plunking around on this instrument and listening to/watching YouTube videos of ukulele players. Even though I already knew how to play the guitar, I'm still a bit surprised at how easy it is to pick this instrument up. It's a little bit simpler (4 strings) and the top three strings are tuned like a guitar, but the oddly tuned top string (which is at the bottom) makes for some rather interesting harmonies (lots of ninths, I think). I think it will be my traveling instrument when I go home this summer because of its size and because it's new.
The temperatures out here are starting to creep up towards 100. The weather people think we're actually going to hit triple digits this weekend, which will be the first time this year. I've managed to keep the air conditioner off so far, and I think I'll be able to squeeze out another two or three weeks without it, if not more. It doesn't really seem that hot, even though the themometer reads 80-something inside. I keep the fans on to keep the air circulating and when the temperature outside drops below the temperature inside, I open the windows. It seems like a simple enough plan. Of course, the days are coming where the outside temperature will never drop below the inside temperature. But I'll worry about that when I get there.
I might take a shot at one of the smaller tournaments at the World Series of Poker this year. I've got my eyes on the $1500 limit event June 6 - June 8. I've got a couple conditions on it, such as building up my bankroll to $3500 and playing a certain amount of poker before it happens. I know I can do the time, but the bankroll number is really going to be luck dependent.
I'm just about ready for my summer classes. I'm going in tomorrow to try to write out some more notes to get ahead of the game a little bit. With only one class, it will be easier to keep track of what I need to do and keep pace with what's going on. There were a couple times this semester when I was a little lost trying to remember what needed to happen for which classes. In the meantime, we're essentially all boxed up and ready to be shipped to the new building. I'm pretty excited to have my own office, as space was a little bit of an issue this last year. I use up a lot of horizontal surfaces with my stuff, and I know I was somewhat spread out over the office. I'm still waiting to see how the fridge and cooking situation will be.
It turns out that I won't be playing guitar for the youth group. The leader found a volunteer who has already been working with the group, and it makes much more sense for someone familiar to jump in rather than someone unfamiliar, especially since I'm going to be jumping out in a couple months anyway.
Jack is going to get a number of InterVarsity people together to see Prince Caspian tomorrow afternoon. This will be the second movie that I saw out here at a theater (the first one was the Simpsons Movie, also with IV people).