Friday, February 20, 2009

Things coming down the pipe

There seems to be a lot of stuff going on right now.

I'm just starting the process of analyzing the results from our math placement exam. I'll probably play around with that tonight. This is the first time that we've ever had any real data on this test, so it will be good to see what the test is measuring and to see (at the end of the semester) how well it seemed to place people. I feel like I've got a little extra riding on this because I did a lot of the rewriting.

At the same time, I'm starting to finish up the first chapter of that textbook that I've mentioned a couple times. Maybe by the end of next week I'll feel "done enough" to move to chapter 2. I got an email from a textbook requisition representative a couple months ago, which led to a meeting last month, and I don't remember exactly what she gave as a timeline, but I remember that it seemed very ambitious. I think I'm going to have to pick up the pace a little bit if this is going to be ready for the Fall semester.

There are also some church things going on right now. This Monday will be the third week in a row that I've had a Monday meeting at the church (and only my fourth meeting as a board member). First it was a board meeting, then it was a board subcommittee meeting, and I think the upcoming meeting will be with the general leadership people at the church. There are useful and important conversations going on, pertaining to money and vision and how the church is going to move forward in the face of a bad economy.

There's a small group thing going on next Sunday. I'm making corn bread with honey butter because it won't take much time or effort. I thought about doing something more interesting, but I just don't think I'm going to have the time this week.

I heard recently that the median price of houses in Las Vegas is about $160,000. In fact, here's a link:

http://www.housingtracker.net/asking-prices/las-vegas-nevada

I'm looking more at Henderson (closer to campus) than Las Vegas, but it at least gives some sense of what's going on. Perhaps the most surprising number to me is the 40% year-to-year drop, and it's still trending downward. We'll have to see what sorts of housing bailout programs get passed along, but with a little luck I might find myself in position to put 10-15% down on a small home in a couple months. There's a part of me that thinks I should wait a little while longer (save up a little more down payment, ascertain a better level of confidence that NSHE funding isn't going to disappear next year), but my target isn't until May, so there's still time for those ideas to sort themselves out.

I haven't had a chance to play poker this month, so maybe I'll squeeze in a few hours tomorrow evening.