* Inspection ($150)
There were a number of small things found in the inspection. There are some plumbing things, such as stiff or leaky faucets, but those things should be do-it-yourself fixes. I think they will be, anyway. I might also increase the insulation because it's a little low (5 inches) and insulation is important in a place like Las Vegas. The inspector suggested that this is a do-it-yourself thing, too. I'll have to do some research on these things (plus potentially replacing the sink).
* Appraisal ($350)
This hasn't actually happened yet, but it's supposed to happen on Monday.
* Locking up a loan
Initially, I thought I was headed for an FHA loan, but with 10% down and strong credit, the broker was able to find a conventional loan instead. The difference is small decrease in the monthly payment, but the possibility of getting rid of the PMI in only a couple years as opposed to 5 years. Two or three years less of paying PMI is a good thing. And only paying 5% interest is a good thing, too.
http://www.freddiemac.com/pmms/pmms30.htm
* Home insurance
I spent an hour today talking with the insurance agent. We went over the basics of coverage and spent a while playing around with the numbers to determine the best coverage. Something I didn't know about home owners' insurance is that a claim for $0 is still counts as a claim (unlike auto insurance), and that a lot of people shoot themselves in the foot by making a small claim (burglary, for example), collecting a couple thousand dollars, and then paying it all back with increased premiums for the next five years.
* Apartment issues
Because this is all happening so fast, I'm going to have to pay double-rent (apartment plus house) for a few months, which sets me back a few thousand dollars. My lease ends at the end of July, and I really wasn't expecting to land a house this fast in a foreclosure/short sale dominated market. I might try to find a short term sub-leaser, or I might just eat the cost. I haven't really gotten that far yet. I'm still gathering up boxes to move.
In the meantime, the rest of life goes on. Classes end in a month, there's a backgammon tournament next week, I turned prime, and church things (which I still haven't had time to think through) continue to happen.
And finally... PICTURES!
The view from the street:

The view through the living room and kitchen when you come in the front door:
Looking back towards the front door from the living room:
Strangely enough, I don't actually have any good pictures of the kitchen or the backyard. The pictures of the bedrooms are quite dull, so this is all you get for now. After I move in and start to get things set up, I'll have more pictures.