Saturday, July 4, 2009

Roommate, housewarming, classes, and poker

Have another two weeks flown by without me noticing? I don't know why everything seems like it's moving so fast.

Daniel is moved in now. It's been good to have a roommate again. The evenings are less quiet and just that extra little bit of energy in the house makes me feel slightly more motivated to remain productive when I might otherwise consider taking a nap on the couch. It has also been good to have some conversations about church things. I know I've mentioned a number of times that I would eventually say something, but I just don't think it's going to happen now. The events in the last several months have (sort of) wrapped themselves up, and I don't think there's much value for me to go back through it again.

The housewarming party went pretty well. I think there were about 16 people who showed up. I guess it's now officially just another home. I was sort of hoping that the church people and the faculty people would mingle a little bit, but that didn't pan out so well. The faculty people huddled in the kitchen while the church people gathered in the living room. The church people made the better choice, as there was plenty of seating in the living room, but none in the kitchen.

My summer class just finished its first week. On the first day of class, I showed the students the numbers that demonstrate that this class is essentially a full time job. I've already lost a couple students, but that's to be expected. I'm actually a little surprised at the size of the core students. They are all working hard, they're all moving towards the goal, and I hope they all make it. We had a minor issue with the web page (IT is rebuilding the web server, and it has caused a couple problems with access), but I think it will all be squared up on Monday when I make a separate webpage hosted somewhere else.

Last night, I played some live 10/20 limit for the first time in a while. I ran incredibly poor, burning through $500 in less than an hour. There isn't a whole lot I could have done differently, and it's just one of those things where you lose and you just have to take it. This money represents the last of my live poker cash cache (after redepositing $1000 into my bank account to cover the housing expenses of these first couple months). This means that I'm definitely not going to play poker for a while. It was still fun because I really went to meet up with some people I know from online. There was a catered party that evening, and I was there for the first hour and a half, but decided to leave a little early. I had a small headache brewing (probably slight dehydration since I didn't survive at the 10/20 table long enough to actually order a water), and so I just went home, drank some water, and laid on the couch for a bit. I'm still waiting to hear what I missed out on.