Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Almost there...

The semester is almost over. And by almost over, I mean there are three full weeks left. My internal clock is still set to quarters, which means I still think things should be over before they are.

I've got all of my traveling lined up for the break. I'll be taking three trips back home in the next couple months: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and a math conference in SF. Unfortunately, the conference is set too far back from Christmas, so staying at home the whole time just isn't really an option. I've got stuff to take care of out here (like starting into the third pre-publication version of the textbook).

The sermon went well on Sunday. I think it went a little bit better than I thought it would. It's available online through the church website, if anyone is brave enough (or bored enough) to listen. Just google "Warm Springs Baptist Church Las Vegas" and it should be the first hit. There were some topics that were a little delicate, in that I was basically asking the church to stop being stupid about some things. A lot of people thanked me for saying what they have been thinking (including some people who have been around the church for many years). I was sort of in a position where since I'm not a pastor, I can say things that the pastors can't say as effectively, like Hebrews 13:17 - "Obey your leaders..."

Other church things continue onward. There's a potluck on Sunday. I'm supposed to bring a dessert. I think I'll just make a batch of cookies because I don't know what I want to make (and cookies are both easy and tasty). There's also the Elder training that's supposed to start in a few weeks as well (which reminds me that I need to take an hour somewhere and fill out the paperwork).

I put out an order for a couple new board games. I don't know when they'll arrive, but I'm looking forward to getting something new. One is Ricochet Robots (which is a very nerdy game, but still fun), and the other is Alhambra (which I've played once, but I'll have to re-learn it because it has been too long). These should come in probably in the next couple weeks, which means they might come home with me for Christmas.

Tomorrow is the last day of basketball for the year. I cut up my left ring finger while smashing something in the garbage can, but it's mostly healed and I don't think it will be too much of an issue.

And I look forward to playing some poker when the semester is over. That is all.