Thursday, October 10, 2013

It begins...

In a matter of a week, my living room went from this:
to this:
And my countertop went from this:
to this:
to this:
and finally, to this:
The floor went from this:
to this:
to this:
I probably put in a couple hours an evening for 6-7 evenings. But some of that time was spent just staring at stuff to try to think of the best way to go at it. In the end, I think that time was probably wasted because I just ended up attacking it head on with some sort of tool. Anyway, this was my first time doing this type of demolition. It was not as hard as I thought it might be.

Tomorrow morning, the contractor's crew arrives to start tearing out the fireplace and the pantry. It's really happening now. It wasn't supposed to start until next Monday, but I guess they finished up whatever other work they had because the contractor sounded like he had guys just sitting around doing nothing. The downside is that I am now officially living on microwave and fridge alone. And I may end up on microwave alone fairly soon, depending on when exactly they need to pull the fridge out.

I feel as though this has been occupying most of my time, but that's only a couple hours an evening. Where are all the rest of the hours? They were probably spent at school or sleeping (but not sleeping at school -- I haven't fallen that far yet). I've been productive, but not the extra-productive I've been hoping for in the first third of this month. I have a couple more sections of notes for one class, and then one more chapter for another class, then I'll be done with all of my notes for the semester. Once I get to that point, I can work on the thing I was supposed to have done over the summer. Oh, but I have that 3rd grade curriculum project to work on, and the job ad needs to be posted, and I have a student doing some research that I'm supposed to be mentoring, and I'm supposed to give a talk to UNLV's InterVarsity group in two weeks, and I have a faculty gathering next weekend that's a potluck and I have no kitchen. But one thing at a time...

I need to take about an hour to really sit down and focus on that IV talk. I've got a good outline, but I really need to flesh it out carefully and then time the whole thing to make sure I fit in the 30-40 minute window. Maybe I'll do that Saturday morning. It's not like I can watch TV or do anything like that right now.

I'm hungry. Time to microwave a burrito. I'll be doing a lot of that for a while...