I bought a jar of sauerkraut the other day for use with some bratwurst, but when I finished the brats I discovered that I had used hardly any of the kraut. After browsing the internet for a little bit, I decided to try making a sauerkraut and kielbasa soup. Yes, a soup. It was pretty straight-forward: Onions, carrots, sausage, sauerkraut, potato, and a little vinegar. It was sour soup and tasted pretty good.
But that only used up half of the kraut. So I decided I would try something else. I started with the same basics except for the carrots, and sauteed it all together. Then I poured in some cream, some chicken broth, some leftover rice, and some cayenne pepper. This combination was much tastier and felt more substantial (maybe it was the added starch from the rice and the fact that it wasn't a soup). I'm not sure if everyone would buy into the creamy-sour-spicy, but I would make it again if I had the same ingredients.