Saturday, January 26, 2008

They kept saying it would rain...

California is getting pummeled by rain, and the little weather ticker that I have on my homepage kept telling me that rain was coming, but those days came and went with little/no precipitation. Maybe there was some in the early mornings that I missed, but I've been completely dry.

My new computer arrived last week, and I'm on it right now. I have mostly finished transferring files and installing programs, but there are a few things left to take care of. One of my poker programs isn't functioning quite properly, so I emailed support and expect to hear back in a few days. I'm very happy with the new computer. It has a faster video card, so I'm now using my 19" monitor, and I can have Simpsons (or other shows) streamed off of my homemade TiVo in the other room onto this computer and watch it in the background as I do other things.

I want to go out and take a couple mile walk today. I haven't gone out for a while and as long as it's not windy (it isn't now), it should be a nice walk. Next year, when the campus has two buildings, I hope I'll be better at taking walks on campus (at least I'll have a destination). It's about a half-mile walk one way, so if I can do two round trips a day, that would be great.

Classes started off really well this semester. Much better than last semester, actually. I think I made a better first impression on my students. Part of it is just being more comfortable with the setting and having a better set of expectations for the quality of the students (I'm thinking of my remedial and college algebra classes). I think it was less overwhelming as I didn't assume they knew as much.

I've been spending a good amount of time in the last couple weeks watching election 2008 coverage on the news. I find myself falling into McCain's corner. I'm not registered with either party, and my views all tend to fall towards a very balanced, rational perspective. I think that would make me a lousy politician.

Wow... I already have a response for the problem with my poker program. I'll fix it up now.