Sunday, July 13, 2008

The return of experimental cooking

I couldn't help myself. When I was at Vons today, they had a 4 pound container of strawberries for only $5. So I bought them. Now I've got a whole lot of strawberries and I need to find a way to consume them.

So tonight I made a chocolate custard to serve with the strawberries.

I took about 1/4 cup of milk and dissolved some sugar in it over medium heat. Then I tempered a single beaten egg yolk with the milk and then cooked the whole thing for a couple minutes over medium heat. Then I took the mixture off the heat and melted in 2-3 ounces of chocolate and a tablespoon of butter. I put the whole thing in the fridge to cool off. A little bit of whipped cream and strawberries on the side, and that's it.

The taste is pretty good. It has a solid chocolate flavor that goes well with the strawberries and cream. However, the texture is a little too soft. It's almost like a thick chocolate sauce instead of a custard. It doesn't hold its shape when you cut into it with a spoon. So I think I need to increase the amount of egg yolk next time. I'd put a picture here, but my camera doesn't work anymore (and I already ate it).