Friday, May 15, 2009

Almost there...

Tomorrow I move into the house (finally!). I'm about 90% packed now.



What's left? A few more kitchen things, the TV and its parts, and finally this computer that I'm using right now. (You also don't see the bed, futon, and some bookshelves in that picture.)

One more house thing that I'm going to have to confront is the landscaping. There's some grass there that isn't doing so well, and I don't particularly like the thought of growing a patch of grass in the middle of the desert, so I've got to figure out what to do.

In the apartment, there's just some cleaning to do. When everything is moved out, I'm going to go back through with the vacuum cleaner and try to clean it up a bit. I don't have a sub-leaser, and I think the prospects of finding one is getting smaller with every week that passes, so I might be stuck.

I haven't been able to put quite as much time into that textbook as I have wanted over the last week, but I'm close to 60% done with the examples and primary content. The current chapter will be a little difficult, but after this everything should be more straightforward. The current chapter is about making the transition from pure computation to algebraic patterns of thought (which is always a difficult hurdle), and then after that it's back to the mechanics of algebra.

I played at the backgammon club this week and lost my first match. I don't know why it's so hard for me to win there when I can keep pace with Jason (and by that, I mean feel like I'm playing somewhat competitively against him even though I know he's playing better than I am).