Monday, June 1, 2009

Now I have this ugly lawn to deal with

The inside of the house is mostly set up now. No more piles of boxes in the living room! (Those boxes in the picture have since been cleaned up.)




But then there's this...






The lawn took a beating in that period of time between when the other people moved out and when I moved in. But I don't really want a lawn out here anyway. Little patches of green in the middle of the desert seem so out of place to me. Besides, I can walk across the street to the public golf course and get all the green I want at someone else's expense.

I'm meeting with a couple of contractors in the next couple days to get some estimates on changing the landscaping to something more desert friendly. There's a program going on with the water authority where they will pay you $1.50 per square foot of grass you remove. I've got about 400 square feet, so that's about $600 for doing something I would have eventually wanted to do anyway.

I'm done with the examples for my textbook, so now all I need to do is generate problems and solutions. My minor programming background is helping out here because I can make the computer generate both problems and solutions faster and more randomly than I can do on my own. It's currently around 270 pages, and I'm expecting it to be about 350 pages when it's done. I really want to be done with the textbook by the end of the week, but that's very ambitious. As soon as I'm done with this, I need to start work on prepping my Math 128 class that starts on June 29. I haven't done much yet, and we changed books, so this means I've got a little extra work to do.

I'm going to be visiting San Diego in about a week! My vacation time has already been booked, and it's going to be great. If I remember to bring my camera, I'll take pictures. If I don't, I won't. I'm usually not very good at remembering to take pictures, so don't get your hopes up.

I also need to plan a housewarming party. Or at least get someone to plan it for me.