Saturday, August 16, 2008

Change of plans

This week, I found out that my Math 331 class, which I had really thought would be safe from being cut, is being cut. So instead I'm teaching Math 093, which is our lowest math class. It will mean significantly less prep, but a significantly harder time connecting with the students. How many different ways can you effectively explain 3 - (-2) = 5 to someone? I don't really know what this will be like, but I'm going to find out in a week.

Indeed, classes do start in a week. Next week is full of all sorts of meetings and such, which is the standard way the year kicks off. I've got all of my stuff together for the first week, but I would like to find the time next week to get ahead a little bit. I almost always suffer from a mid-semester slowdown and I would rather have a buffer instead of not having a buffer.

I talked to my friend's dad, a real estate agent, and let him know that I might be looking into buying a house sometime between 9 and 15 months from now. I'm starting to really settle in on the idea that I have long term ambitions here. I really enjoy being on campus here, and this is an area where I don't mind settling down for a while. I've been putting money aside for a couple years now, so I have a little bit of capital ready to go, and over the next year I think I can build it up a bit more.

Speaking of money, last Saturday I had my second-best ever night of playing poker, coming in at just a hair under $1000 profit. But this all has to be taken as variance. I've also had nights losing about that much money, too. But it's still fun when it happens.