Sunday, August 24, 2008

Good weekend before work begins

Even though I woke up this morning feeling very sick, after sleeping another 3 hours and waking up at noon, I feel much much better. I don't know what this means about being awake and ready for the class I'm filling in for tomorrow morning at 9:30 AM, but hopefully I'll be able to get to sleep at a reasonable time and I won't have issues again tomorrow morning.

Kevin was in town this weekend. He was staying at the Luxor, where there is a special poker rate if you play 5 hours per day, so I spent a lot of time playing poker with him. There wasn't anything going for limit, so we played 1-2 no limit. I'm not a huge fan of no limit, but if its the only game they have, then you play it. I ended up ahead by a good margin, and Kevin ended up down a little bit. He was very card dead and I was lucky. That's how it goes.

We ended up going to dinner late on Saturday at a little Chinese cafe at New York, which turned out to be pretty good at about $20/plate. It's definitely somewhere I would go again. I don't think there was anything completely amazing, but it was definitely solid and decently portioned.

This last week was very tiring, mostly due to the extended meetings that we had for campus. We had a strategic planning retreat which took the entire day on Monday, then we had our LAS faculty meeting on Tuesday morning, new technology training on Wednesday morning, campus-wide faculty meeting and faculty development on Thursday, and I skipped the thing on Friday.

I'm going to enjoy trying out the new Sympodium technology we have in the classroom. It's basically a touch screen which allows you to write directly into the computer, and it has software that will allow you to save all of your writing and put it up for students to download later. It also overcomes the difficulty of erasing the white board only to discover that you erased something that you needed.