Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Unemployed and feeling broke

Okay, so the slightly provocative title is... well... slightly provocative. My last UCSD paycheck came in at the end of June, and my first paycheck from NSC doesn't arrive until September. This means that I have no income (from work, anyway) for the month of July. Of course, this month has seen the largest increase of expenditures in my life as a result of the move. What have I spent money on? (Pictures on their way, as soon as I figure out where I put my camera...)

  • Apartment: $460.41 -- First month's prorated rent plus application and holding fees, minus concessions

  • Moving Truck: $303.34 -- 10' rental truck from Budget plus gas

  • Moving crew: ~$110 -- I count this as an expense because I'm taking the money from the $1000 moving stipend. It's not something I'm holding against my friends. I'm glad they came and happily bought them a nice dinner.

  • 2006 Ford Taurus plus extra money: $17500.00 -- I needed to replace my 1989 Acura Legend that smelled like gas. I put $3500 down on the ~$16000 car. The true cost of the car is actually higher because I borrowed $14000 from my parents at 4% interest (I insisted on paying them interest because they're using money from a CD earning 4% to loan to me). If I pay back over 5 years, the car will cost about $19000. But I plan to pay it back sooner. The leftover money is to give me a little more room financially while I wait another month and a half to get my first paycheck (which is likely going to be only a half-month check, anyway).

  • Futon and bed: ~$900 -- This is financed at Levitz with no interest for the next 6 months, which I plan to have completely paid off before that time arrives (I think it's at 26% if I don't pay it off, which is sadly a normal interest rate for this sort of financing).

  • TV stand: $86.19 -- It's good to get the TV off the floor. It has glass shelves and it has a nice look. Unfortunately, it will require me to be diligent about cleaning it because it's going to show dust very clearly.

  • Dresser: $146.88 -- I just finished putting it together today and it looks nice. There's a little issue with one of the drawers not fitting properly due to one of the holes being drilled in the wrong spot, but it's good enough for me. Maybe if this were the first thing, I might have spent the time to rework it, but after all the other stuff I've done, I just don't have the energy or desire to set it right.

  • Other things: ~$400 -- This includes a paper shredder, some kitchen organizing wares, a router, a square card table, and a lot of those little things you discover you need when you move into a new place.


So it looks like that in all, I'm down about $20000 with expenses continuing to accumulate. I dipped into my poker bankroll for about $3000, I have $3000-4000 saved up from my regular income, and I have that $1000 moving stipend coming, so I'm not in as bad of shape as it feels like I am when I say that I've spent $20000 in the last couple weeks.

In other news, I've finished reading "The Great Divorce" and have started back again into reading "The Cost of Discipleship" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer.