Saturday, July 21, 2007

You say goodbye, and I say hello

My bed and futon arrived today. I took a couple pictures, but once again I need to take the time to download them into my computer before I can post them. That may take a few days (as usual).

After my furniture arrived I went to NSC because I heard that my office computer and phone were set up. And when I arrived, what they said was seen to be true. My desk had a computer on it and a fancy-looking phone. I went downstiars to talk to Andy about getting a key, but after wandering around for a little while with him it turns out that I could only get a fob and would have to wait a little while longer for a key.

But while I was walking around with him, I discovered that the LAS (Letters of Arts and Sciences) support staff (I think that's a good name for them) had their area decorated for a goodbye party. It was a little bit strange for my first introduction to the group to be at a goodbye party for two people I don't know, but that's how it goes sometimes.

The party was fun, with everyone just sitting around and talking and sharing stories. I got to meet a bunch of other people (many of whose names I've forgotten because I'm not so good at remembering names). The two names I did get to know were the "Ellies" (Kelly and Nellie). But those are also the names of the ones leaving, so it doesn't do a whole lot of good for me. They're both former NSC students who graduated and then went to work in the administration. Now they're off to grad school.

It was good to listen to everyone talk about things because it helped me develop more of a sense of how things work, and the personality of the department. Essentially, everyone is pretty hard-working, but also all like to have fun. For example, there is something that they call "Dance Party NSC". It is exactly what it sounds like and a bit more. "Dancing on the desks" is a literal statement, not a hyperbolic or metaphorical one. And then there was talk of the Harry Potter release party later that evening. Yes, a bunch of the faculty and staff were going to meet together at the campus bookstore to prepare for the relase of the next Harry Potter.

So the impression I have is that it's a nice close-knit community of people who all share a common passion to see the university grow, and who are all willing to hang out and have fun together, even outside of the office. It seems like a great place to me.